Please join me in celebrating National Dairy Month. Dairy (milk, yogurt, cheese and kefir) is packed with essential nutrients and should be enjoyed every day, three times a day!
Join Hy-Vee Dietitian Caity on June 23 for Hy-Vee’s Dairy Event, featuring the Dairy Princess, a butter sculpture, shake-making, a friendly cow and dairy sampling!
Here are the top 8 reasons to enjoy dairy every day!
- Protein – Dairy milk, yogurts, cheese and kefir contain more protein per serving than any other milk/dairy alternative (such as almond milk). In fact, this protein is considered a high quality protein, giving us all of the essential protein parts.
- Probiotics – Probiotics are found in yogurts and kefirs and help our digestive system stay comfortable and running smoothly. Our Dietitian Pick of the Month this month is Dannon Activia yogurt; each serving has billions of probiotic bacteria!
- Heart Health – Dairy contains as much potassium as a banana. Potassium – found in fruits, vegetables and dairy – helps reduce blood pressure and promotes heart health!
- Cheap Protein – Milk packs in 8 grams of protein per serving, which only costs about $0.25. This makes milk one of the cheapest, high-quality proteins in our diet.
- Healthy Bones – Dairy products contain some of the highest amounts of calcium, vitamin D and phosphorus per serving. These essential nutrients help build our bones stronger and prevent them from breaking down as we get older.
- Safe – Enjoying a refreshing glass of milk from the grocery store is safe with the process of pasteurization, which kills all of the harmful bacteria in milk.
- Lactose – For those who are lactose intolerant (not able to have dairy sugar), there are dairy varieties available that are lactose-free. See Caity for more information about lactose-free foods.
- Energy and Growth – Dairy contains vitamin A and 3 essential B vitamins that help the body grow and turn calories into energy.
Join your Hy-Vee dietitian today (and every day) by enjoying a refreshing glass of milk, or try adding Dannon Activia Greek yogurt to a smoothie today!
I am looking forward to seeing you all June 23 for Hy-Vee’s Dairy Event!
Caity is your Hy-Vee Barlow Plaza Registered Dietitian. She is originally from Rochester, MN, and attended high school in Stewartville. After high school, Caity received her Nutrition and Dietetics degree from Viterbo University in La Crosse, WI. Through the program, Caity completed internships at Gundersen Lutheran Hospital, Hy-Vee Grocery Stores in Madison, and Cancer Treatment Center of America in Zion, IL. In the past, Caity has also worked with individuals with special needs in the Rochester community. During her free time, Caity enjoys being active outdoors, dancing, reading, experimenting with new foods, and spending time with family. For more posts from Caity, click here.